#065 - Being your Authentic Self with Hannah Kook
April 04, 2022
Julian Sequeira & Bob Belderbos
Sometimes we feel like we need to put up a façade, especially in front of our leaders. Showing up as your authentic self is so important though and the benefits are immense.
In this episode, Hannah Kook, a Senior Communications Manager at AWS, shares her story and tips on what it is to be your authentic self at work.
- If you muster up the confidence to step into the ring, people will see that you have unique super powers and traits that your competition doesn't.
- If you hold yourself back you're not giving people the opportunity to see why you're at the table.
- There's more that you can offer if you double-down on your super powers.
- It doesn't matter what meeting you're in, there's nothing wrong with being your authentic self. Having the confidence to embrace it and do it is key.
- Focusing on your superpowers helps you take focus away from what you feel are your shortcomings.
- Being your authentic self earns trust!
- When you show up authentically it has a ripple effect and allows others to do the same.
Hannah's Actionable Tips to being your authentic self:
- First, look inward. You need to know the strengths that make you uniquely you.
- Second, ask others that you trust to validate what your strengths are.
- Third, show up and speak up! You've got this! You're the expert at your strengths, you can do it, don't back down, be yourself.
- Four, be ready for discomfort. It's not going to feel amazing the first time and that's FINE. Just keep doing the work and you'll get stronger and better at it.
- Five, YOUV'E GOT THIS (again!).
Where you can find Hannah: