#006 - The PyBites Python Tips Book
Jan 07, 2021
Julian Sequeira & Bob Belderbos
Happy New Year all! A new year, new opportunities :)
In this episode we talk about our Python Tips book:
1. Why did we write this book?
- Python books, albeit great, can be pretty dense and time consuming, we wanted to make Python more digestible.
- We want to instil the the habit of reading code (tool mentioned: https://grep.app/)
- We want to motivate you to try out code / new libraries.
- Lastly, we always said we would write a book as PyBites, now at the 4 years mark (19th of Dec 2020) it was about time :)
2. What was the mindset / process behind writing this book?
- We applied the “eat an elephant a bite at a time” famous saying. We launched at 100 tips (= one third of the end goal).
- We went to market fast, dropping perfectionism.
- We posted tips to social media for years getting great feedback/ confirmation people actually appreciated / wanted this.
- Lesson for you: if there is something you want to do, getting started is the hardest, but once you gain momentum it gets easier (tweet: https://twitter.com/bbelderbos/status/1336571553635594243)
- Productivity, how deep work and time chunking helped in the process.
3. Some of our favourite tips from the standard library and external modules.
4. What’s next.
- Get to a physical edition when we hit 300 tips!
- Make an accompanying Mindset/ Career book (you can get these already subscribing here: https://codechalleng.es/tips)
5. Get the book here: https://pybit.es/tips