#027 - Lessons Learned from "The Last Dance"
May 17, 2021
Julian Sequeira & Bob Belderbos
This week we have Drew Kerr on the show, consultant / web developer and like us, big on self development and mindset.
We talk about the importance of mindset as a developer and lessons learned from The Last Dance, an amazing documentary about the Chicago Bulls and Michael Jordan:
- Fail your way forward, often not taught at school (and important to conquer rejections with interviewing).
- Being present, not to worry about what might go wrong, not to allow failure to even enter your mind.
- MJ’s “My game is my biggest endorsement” which is closely related to Gary Keller’s The One Thing; it’s easy to get distracted, you should focus on one thing though and do it extraordinarily well.
- Expect criticism to happen at higher levels, it takes mental strength to block out the negative / distractions and focus on the essentials.
- Have a relentless work ethic which will have a compound effect over time (“the slide edge”). Adopt the Seinfeld principle, code every day, deliberate practice is key (see also episode #015).
This and much more in our new episode.
Enjoy and if you like the show please leave us a review.
Get in touch with Drew on PyBites Slack or LinkedIn.